Tuesday 24 February 2015

Arkham Dozen Painting - Take 2


A while back I joined in with a Batman painting challenge on the Arkham City Limits Facebook group.
The plan is to paint up 12 Knight Models figures over the course of a few weeks. They called it the Arkham Dozen.
My first choice was a whole load of characters. But as I haven't painted in a while, I decided to swap out most of them and go for easy to paint Henchmen to get me started.
I have posted my new 'Dozen' below.
All models are mounted on Post Apoc toppers from Fenris Games

A couple of points to keep in mind though....
1- I am NOT an experienced painter. I have only painted a handful of models in all my time gaming and those were quite a while ago.
2-  I am learning to use a new camera my wife bought me so the pictures may not be all that great yet.

So that's the excuses out of the way, onto the models.


Models 1-5. League of Shadows Ninjas. Finished.
I though these would be nice and simple to get me going. I'm quite pleased with how they turned out. I may go back and add a little more to the bases though.


Models 6+7. Arkham Robin and Arkham Batman. Finished.
You can't play the game without the Dynamic Duo can you?
For a first attempt, I like them. I AM going to do second copies of each once I get some more painting experience under my belt though.


 Models 8-11. GCPD Police. Base coated.
These were chose for two reasons. 1- They seemed fairly easy to paint. 2- They will make a fully usable crew with Batman and Robin.


Model 12. Clayface. Base coated.
For the last one I wanted to do something a little bigger that can be used by most of the crews. Clayface seems to be a basic mix of browns so shouldn't be too difficult. He's also very impressive looking.

Extras.
If I get these finished soon, I'm also going to do Arkham Scarecrow and the GCPD SWAT. Mainly because I'm using those colours already. They will both be good crew additions as well.

Next up.
The next batch of 12, if we do it again, will be a couple of characters for the League, some Green Arrow good guys to use with the police and the start of my Joker and Harley crew.

What do you think so far?
Any and all comments are welcome.

- Hendybadger

8 comments:

  1. Ian - for someone who says they haven't done much painting and none recently, you've done a tremendous job on these so far. Given that they are based on graphic novels, you can get away with quite exaggerated highlighting and high contrasts although you do need to be careful not to overdo it.

    For the ninja, they might benefit from a dark blue wash over the clothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much.
      I have researched most of the basic techniques but now I have to try and put it into practice.
      I hope o can carry on with the graphic novel look. Some bits seems to fit that so far but others not so much.
      I like the blue wash idea. A lot of comics highlight black with dark blue so I will give it a shot and see how it turns out.

      Delete
    2. The suggestion about the dark blue is because ninja night-gear was actually blue-black rather than black - it stands out less against night sky.

      The best thing would be to give the cloth areas a thin coat of diluted dark blue paint and repeat until you are happy with the look. You don't want to obscure the highlights you have done.

      Delete
    3. I will see if I can pull that off.

      Delete
  2. I was going to suggest the same thing for the ninja figures. Looks like a very solid start so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am using the Citadel / GW range. Do you think the dark blue wash or blue glaze would be better?
      Cheers b

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks. Just finishing off the next 4 at the moment.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...